Bread can elevate a meal from good to great if it is done correctly. This recipe proves it if there was any doubt! These rolls are so easy to make but the flavor is amazing! Crunchy cheese on the outside, soft and tender on the inside, bursting with flavor from the roasted garlic and fresh herbs layered in so you get it with every bite. So why not try them with your next meal? Just be prepared, they go quick!
- 2½ tsp active dry yeast one package
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- 1½ tbsp dehydrated minced onions
- 1 cup water 100°-110°F
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg large
- 1 bulb roasted garlic
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 2 tbsp rosemary fresh
- 2 tbsp thyme fresh
- 2 tbsp oregano fresh
- 2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- In a large bowl (preferably a stand mixer), mix yeast, water, sugar, and dehydrated onions. Let stand 10-12 minutes until yeast is bubbling.
- Stir in 3 cups of flour, salt, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, olive oil, egg, and roasted garlic. Once dough begins to form, knead for 10-15 minutes, adding up to ½ cup additional flour if sticking. Once dough is smooth and elastic, put in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Place in a warm area and let rise for 1-1½ hours, or until it doubles in size. (Make filling while waiting for dough to rise – see below)
- Punch dough down and on a lightly floured surface, roll out a rectangle that is about 20 x 9 inches until it is about ¼-⅓ inch thick. Spread herb butter mixture evenly over the dough, except about a ½ on one long edge. Sprinkle with ⅔ of the Parmesan cheese.
- Tightly roll dough towards the edge that has no butter mixture. Slice each roll about 1 inch thick, until you have 18-20 rolls. Place in 2 lightly greased round cake pans or one large rectangular pan, leaving an inch or two between each roll. Lightly brush the top of each roll with olive oil (cooking spray works as well) and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Add a little salt and freshly ground pepper if desired. Cover pan with a towel and let rise for 20-30 minutes, until they have increased about 50% in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F while waiting for bread to rise. Bake for 25 minutes, until bread is golden brown and cooked through. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Chop herbs well, then mix all ingredients together except for Parmesan cheese. Set aside.