Ginger cookies are such a classic around the holidays! These cookies are soft and chewy, with pieces of crystallized ginger laced through out the cookies to give it an irresistible texture! These cookies bake beautifully and will fill your home with a warm ginger scent that will have you wanting seconds or thirds (don’t worry, we won’t tell)!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tbsp orange liquor orange juice or water can be substituted
- 1 oz crystallized ginger finely chopped
- granulated sugar for rolling
- Sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and baking soda together. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together until you get a fluffy texture. Beat egg into the mixture well, then stir in orange liquor and molasses. Once well combined, gradually add dry ingredients then crystallized ginger.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper once dough is chilled.
- Add 2-3 tbsp granulated sugar to a small bowl. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in the sugar. I like using a small cookie scoop for both ease and speed. Place on baking sheet 3 inches apart from one another. Cover with a piece of parchment paper and flatten to about ¼ inch thickness with the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to get a uniformly beautiful cookie! Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookie has golden brown edges. Let cool for 5 minutes on a baking sheet, then cool on baking rack. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!