I love having breakfast for any meal of the day. The first thing I ever cooked for my husband when we first started dating was breakfast burritos for dinner. Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? Especially a quiche that has a crispy flavorful hash brown crust.
This recipe is absolutely perfect for any time of the day and completely customizable which is why the recipe has options for some of the filling ingredients. While the key ingredients like the amazing potato crust and the egg base for the filling stays the same, you can choose any kind of cheese, meats, fresh herbs, and vegetables for the filling. The key is to stay to about 2 cups total for all those specific ingredients together, otherwise it wont fit in the pie plate or hold together very well. Perfect for leftovers? Absolutely!
For the meats and veggies, make sure to cook them first as the quiche isn’t in the oven long enough to cook the ingredients all the way. Also keep moisture in mind, drying ingredients like tomatoes first or using something like a sun-dried tomato instead of a fresh one. Fresh tomatoes will work but I highly recommend removing the seeds and resting them on a paper towel to get rid of excess moisture before adding to the eggs.
Hash Brown Quiche Filling Ideas:
Looking for some great ideas for what will work in your quiche? Here are some great options to test out!
|Parmesan||Dill||Artichoke Hearts||Breakfast Sausage|
|Pepper Jack||Oregano||Scallions||Smoked Salmon|
|Boursin||Crushed Red Pepper||Bell Peppers||Turkey Bacon|
|Gruyere||Tarragon||Hot Peppers like Jalapenos||Prosciutto|
The key to getting the perfect quiche is to make sure ingredients are well dried (like the artichoke hearts or or if you use something like roasted peppers) and that if you are using a soft cheese like goat cheese to either get the crumbled variety or to cut in small cubes and mix in well so you get delightful little pockets of cheese in your quiche. The possibilities are endless to how you can make your quiche so go crazy and mix and match until you find your perfect quiche.
Since this quiche holds up and reheats well, it’s the perfect breakfast to make for a long weekend or while you are entertaining over the holidays. It’s also so easy to make that it’s one of my favorite dishes to make during Thanksgiving or Christmas for people to enjoy while our main meal is roasting in the oven. This is also the perfect way to use up leftovers so really there is no excuse for this not to go into your regular rotation.
- 3½ cups shredded hash browns thawed if frozen
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper optional
- 4 lg eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup your choice of cooked meats, fresh herbs, & veggies diced small
- 1 cup your choice of cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lay out hash browns on paper towels and gently press until no more water is released. The drier the hash browns, the crispier they will be at the end.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all crust ingredients together. Press into a 9" pie plate, pressing mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown and crispy. Set aside and lower oven temperature to 400°F.
- While crust is baking work on the filling. For this recipe, you can use a variety of your favorite meats, fresh herbs, and veggies to flavor the filling. Dice small and cook through as the quiche doesn't bake long enough for them to cook while in the oven, then set aside (note: cooking spinach prior to adding into the filling is optional). If you want a plain cheese quiche, use a total of 6 eggs and ¾ cups of milk for the filling.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together until well combined. Mix in cheese and desired filling ingredients. Pour into pie plate and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top has turned golden brown and center is firm. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
More Breakfast Recipes to Enjoy:
Looking for a little more breakfast inspiration? Check out these delicious crowd pleasing recipes!