Tomato soup is one of those classic comfort foods that you never outgrow. That doesn’t mean you can’t dress it up a bit though! Our version of tomato soup comes as a bisque, rich and thick, packed with spicy flavor! We roast the vegetables to get a deeper flavor, then simmer those veggies on the stove with fresh basil and a little cream, giving you a fresh taste that is filling enough to be a main dish. We then top it off with delicious crunchy grilled cheese croutons that are so good you might want to double up because they are primed for snacking!
- 2 carrots large
- 12 Roma tomatoes 3-3½ lbs
- 10 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 oz jalapenos about 4
- 8 oz yellow onion approximately 1 large
- 2½ oz shallot approximately 1 large
- ⅔ cup basil fresh, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 10 sprig thyme left on stem
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/8 tsp pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- 4 oz cream
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 8 slices bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 tsp butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut carrots in about 3" lengths, then cut those sections in quarters, length wise (making carrot sticks). Put carrots on baking sheet and mix with 1 tsp oil, ¼ tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper. Spread carrots out and bake for 15 minutes.
- While carrots are baking, prepare the other vegetables. Cut Roma tomatoes in quarters, removing the top portion where stem was attached and put in a large mixing bowl. Peel onion and cut into quarters and peel shallot, cutting in half and adding to the tomatoes. Add garlic, jalapenos (stems removed), thyme sprigs, 1 tbsp olive oil, ¾ tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper and gently mix well.
- Once carrots have been baking for 15 minutes, remove sheet pan from oven and add the rest of the vegetables. Spread evenly and bake for an 1 hour or until vegetables start to brown and tomato skins start to wrinkle. Remove from the oven and discard all thyme springs.
- Put all the vegetables in to a large stock pot and add 3½ cups of vegetable broth and crushed red pepper. Let simmer on medium high heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend well with either a blender or hand blender (use caution as soup will be hot). Return to pot and add basil and cream. Stir well and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Make 4 cheese sandwiches and spread butter evenly on each side of the outside of the bread. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Grill in a skillet on medium high heat, allowing each side to brown (about 3-4 minutes per side) and cheese to melt. Remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes. It is important to wait so the cheese has a chance to cool down, so that the crouton pieces will stay together and the cheese wont run out the sides.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and lightly spray a baking sheet. Cut grilled cheese sandwiches into 6 slices, then turn and repeat. This will give you 36 "croutons" per sandwich (about ⅓" cubes). Put croutons on baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes, or until the bread has dried out.
Time to Eat!
- Portion soup into bowls and top with croutons! Enjoy!