Pulled pork sandwiches are such a deliciously filling meal that it’s perfect for lunch, dinner, or even on sliders for an appetizer or finger food for a party! With so many recipes out there, what makes this one so special? First off, the amazingly flavorful shredded pork butt comes together easily in a slow cooker and freezes so well that you’ll be making a double batch for those weeknight dinners where you want something satisfying without spending hours in the kitchen. Then you smother the pork in your favorite BBQ sauce (we love Sweet Baby Rays but we won’t judge if you pick something else) and top with sweet and spicy quick pickled red onions and jalapenos for a taste that is out of this world! Like that isn’t enough, we like to toast our buns with olive oil and spices for a nice hit of heat and crunch to add the perfect texture to your sandwich.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 oz red onion sliced thin
- 2 oz jalapeno sliced thin
- 16 oz Slow Cooker Shredded Pork
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- 4 Brioche Buns
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- In a small sauce pan, combine vinegar, water, garlic, salt, and sugar and bring to a soft boil. Add jalapenos and onions, stir once, and remove from heat. Let sit for about 12 minutes in the hot liquid before adding it to your sandwich.
- Combine pork and BBQ sauce and heat on medium until well coated and heated through. I recommend making sure your pork has a little of the cooking liquid from the crock pot in the original recipe as it helps thin the sauce and gives your pork another boost of amazing flavor!
- Cut buns in half and brush inside with olive oil. Sprinkle evenly with spices. I like to lightly press the buns back together to make sure spices stick nicely to the bread. Toast buns seasoned side down in a warmed pan until golden brown.
- Once buns are done, spread BBQ pork evenly over the bottom bun and top with pickled onion and jalapenos. Serve with your favorite side and enjoy!