Is baking homemade bread something that has been on your “I want to try list” but you just haven’t gotten around to it? To me this seems like the perfect time to make it, with grocery stores running low on bread (if you are lucky enough to find any at all) and most people being asked to stay at home. So why not give it a whirl? It’s so easy and only uses 6 ingredients! Trust me, after trying this recipe you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner!
This bread recipe is perfect for your standard sliced white sandwich bread or great cut thicker with butter to go with salad, soup, or pasta. It can be frozen for up to 6 months so don’t be worried about this recipe making 2 loaves, nothing will go to waste! Once you’ve tried this, go ahead and experiment with different herbs and spices. You could add rosemary, crushed red pepper, thyme, dried onions, roasted garlic, and so much more to suit your personal preferences.
- ½ cup warm water 105°F-110°F
- 4½ tsp active dry yeast 2 – ¼oz packets
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups lukewarm milk 98°F-105°F
- 3 tsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 tbsp salt
- 7 cups bread flour
- Add warm water in a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients. Evenly sprinkle yeast onto the surface of the water, then repeat with the sugar. Let set for 10 minutes, until yeast turns foamy.
- Add milk, butter, salt, and 2 cups of the bread flour and stir. Continue adding 1 cup of flour at a time until dough starts to come together and is barely sticky to the touch (up to 6½-7 cups). Once you can handle the dough, turn it out to a clean, floured surface and knead until the dough is soft and elastic, about 7-9 minutes. (If using a Kitchen-Aid mixer, start by using dough hook attachment on low speed while adding ingredients, once dough comes together turn up speed slightly and let machine kneed dough until done).
- Put dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean, dry towel. Place in a warm, draft free spot until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour. Punch dough down to deflate, then divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Shape into loaves and place in 2 lightly greased 9"x5" loaf pans. Cover with clean dry towel and let double in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Add bread to the oven and immediately reduce heat to 375° and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the bread is nicely browned and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from loaf pan and let cool on cooling rack.
- Store bread in a plastic bag if using right away or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 6 months. Enjoy!